Sunday, December 21

who is that guy?

I know I've commented that it seems my world (our world) is painfully, unnecessarily, nearly incomprehensibly small on more than one occassion. But tonight, I couldn't help thinking to myself, "Where do I know that person from??" about not one, but two people. That in all likelihood I should not know at all. The thought occurs to me that perhaps it is a symptom of me becoming a townie.
See, the other day I had the Shaftian realization that I live in a city. And that choices I've made in my life make it likely that I will continue to live in this city for a long time. This is not something I foresaw when I chose (nearly randomly) to attend college at the Alma Mater. It's not a bad thing, it's just strange. It's strange for me to think of my kid(s) growing up here, in a "big city", and not in a tiny little village like I did. In many ways, I feel like we've carved out a village out of the city: there are only certain places we hang out, we always grocery shop at the same place, only some restaurants we go to (in general); so it shouldn't seem strange that the world I come in contact with feels not a lot bigger than the one I grew up in. But I wonder: is it like this for everyone? Even everyone who is "us"? I've never taken a poll, so I don't know. It just seems strange to live in a city of 60,000 or whatever is and be fairly certain that if 59,000+ of them disappeared I'd never know the difference.
...and that's my musing for the evening... I think I'll ponder it for a little while longer and then head to bed.
Thanks to DerK and The Inkwell Collective for a smashing good show. *sounding British is fun* It was a great time & really I love your stuff and I'm not just saying that cuz, you know, I see you all the time and I'm pretty sure you hit pretty hard. :) Honest - it was great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home